The warmer weather is the perfect time for lighter meals, robust salads, and of course, barbeques! Amazingly, this colorful and delicious summer slaw checks off all these boxes. This light and tangy slaw is the perfect side dish for any summer meal or picnic, can be a tasty topping for pork or fish tacos, or can even be enjoyed on its own. The bright colors of this crisp and refreshing slaw make it the ideal accompaniment to grilling season!
- 2 cups red cabbage (shredded)
- 1 cup green cabbage or lettuce (shredded)
- 1 ½ apple (diced or cut into thin strips)
- 2 carrots (grated)
- 3 green onions (chopped)
- Cilantro to taste
- 1 jalapeno (optional)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Zest of 3 limes & 1 lemon
- Juice of 3 limes & 1 lemon
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Dash of cayenne
1. Shred the red and green cabbage. Chop up the green onion. Add to a large mixing bowl.
2. Add the shredded carrot to the bowl.
3. Add the apple, cilantro, and jalapeno to the bowl and mix together.
4. For the dressing, add the oil to a small bowl or jar.
5. Drizzle the dressing over the slaw mixture and blend well. Serve chilled.
Don’t cut up and add the apple until you are ready to dress the slaw. Otherwise, it will brown.
We’re sure that you’ll enjoy this summer slaw as much as we did. The vibrant colors and zesty taste will make it a staple for all your summer barbeques but can also be enjoyed all year long. As always, feel free to make this recipe your own by adding your own personal touches like dried fruit, nuts, or sunflower seeds. This summer slaw is the perfect side dish and is simply the best way to kick your soft tacos up a notch.
Looking for even more healthy recipes that help keep you strong and inflammation free? Click here to learn more.