Waffles and pancakes are one of the most popular breakfast foods across the globe. In fact, pancakes originate all the way back in ancient Greece and Rome. At that time, they were made from wheat flour, honey, olive oil, and curdled milk. Over the years, recipes have evolved to include a variety of different ingredients, including different flours, fruits, and even chocolate chips. But did you know that your favorite breakfast staple can be easy to make, incredibly filling, nutritious, and DELICIOUS? The next time you want to amp up your usual breakfast, try these protein-packed waffles or pancakes. The batter takes only minutes to whip up, which means that in less than 20 minutes, you can enjoy these tasty treats. Not only will you get a jump on your nutrients for the day, but the added protein will also help keep you feeling full for hours. There is no better way to start your morning!
- 1 cup whole or white flour
- One scoop of protein powder (vegan or whey)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- One pinch of ground cloves
- Two eggs
- 1/2 cup milk (any type)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Toppings of choice
- Grease and heat your waffle iron or frying pan.
- Mix all the dry ingredients.
- Mix all the wet ingredients.
- Blend your dry and wet ingredients to make the batter.
- Scoop onto the greased and heated waffle iron and close until cooked through. If making pancakes, scoop onto the greased and heated frying pan and flip once the pancake has bubbled on top.
- Remove from heat and enjoy with your favorite toppings.
You can make even more modifications to this recipe by substituting non-whey protein and nut milk for the ingredients mentioned above. You can add some blueberries or other small berries to make this protein-packed even tastier. Fresh fruit makes the perfect topping, but feel free to treat yourself by using your favorite syrup or honey. These waffles or pancakes also freeze nicely, making them an ideal addition to your meal prep for the upcoming week.
Healthy eating does not need to be boring or tasteless. You no longer need to feel guilty about indulging in your favorite breakfast staples because combining fresh fruit with these waffles or pancakes is the perfect way to start your day. You’ll feel full and satisfied for hours with just minutes of prep time.
Looking for even more tasty recipes that are good for your health and your waistline? Click here to learn more.