Mushrooms are a rich, low-calorie source of fiber, protein, and antioxidants. In addition, mushrooms may reduce the risk of developing many life-threatening health conditions, such as heart disease, cancer, diabetes, and Alzheimer’s. Incorporating these flavorful veggies into a hearty and delicious soup can create the perfect comfort food, loaded with vitamin C, vitamin D, iron, potassium, and fiber. Try our easy recipe below to create your own, healthy version of this tasty meal.
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 medium leek, white and light green parts, sliced (1 cup)
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 10 medium crimini mushrooms, 5 oyster mushrooms, 8 shitake mushrooms (can use crimini only)
- ¼ cup dry white wine (optional)
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 – 2 cubes bouillon
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or half & half
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the leeks, celery, ¼ teaspoon salt, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until soft, approximately 8 to 10 minutes longer.
- Sprinkle the mushrooms and sauteed veggies with flour.
- Stir in the wine, garlic, and thyme and cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until the wine has evaporated.
- Add the broth and cook another 4 minutes on medium.
- Add the cream and turn the heat down for 2 minutes.
- Let it cool, serve and enjoy!
Substitute soaked and blended cashews instead of cream to make a vegan variation on this soup.
You can definitely feel good about this hearty and healthy meal, so be sure to give this recipe a try. Top with croutons or toasted pine nuts for some added texture and flavor. Also note, this soup freezes well, so you can fill your freezer with any leftovers and enjoy a quick and delicious meal at a later date!
Click here to discover the all-natural, safe, and effective program that promotes a healthy heart.