Yummy pear crumble is a delicious food that you can serve with your warm heart to your family. Crumbles originated in Britain during World War II as a more affordable alternative to lavish pie recipes. Although crumbles are simple and generally inexpensive to make, their rich and satisfying flavor makes them the perfect dessert for those colder Fall and Winter evenings. Better yet, their simple ingredient list makes crumbles a far healthier option than many other cakes and pies.
- 6 cups peeled, thinly sliced firm-ripe pears
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds (optional)
- 2 sticks butter
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Vanilla ice cream or whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F.
- In a large, oven-safe dish, add sliced pears, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Stir until the fruit is evenly coated.
- In a medium bowl add oats, butter, and cinnamon (and optional almonds). Blend with your hands.
- Sprinkle the crumble topping evenly over the pear mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until pears is tender.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
This dish can easily be made with apples or stone fruits like peaches instead of pears, so feel free to change it up whenever you like. Enjoy your yummy pear crumble with vanilla yogurt, rather than ice cream for a healthier alternative. This dish can also be frozen, allowing you to enjoy it at a later date.
Apples and pears are usually abundant during the Fall, which makes this yummy pear crumble the ideal addition to any holiday dinner. The smell from this scrumptious dessert is heavenly and is sure to fill your home and tempt your taste buds minutes after you pop it in the oven. You can warm your belly and your heart with this homemade Fall classic.
Looking for even more healthy recipes that are sure to tempt your taste buds? Click here to learn more.